Monday, March 11, 2013

A Gray Matter

Let me first start out by saying that I would like to think of myself as a person that is not superficial. I do however realize that there are some things that hit the psyche slightly more than others. This is an experience of one of those.
Last night while taking out my eyes (contacts) before bed I was looking at my hair color. I’m going through some changes with my hair and about 6 months ago I realized that I don’t feel like I have the time to take out for myself to get my hair colored. This time issue along with the feeling of poorness due to childcare and diapers has led me down the path of choosing to no longer color my hair. This is a whopping savings of 2 hours and $50 additional dollars every 2-3 (ok who am I kidding more like 3-4) months. (This I realize now is not a huge savings on either end.) So I did one last color as close to my natural as possible and have only gotten cuts since. Due to no longer coloring my hair I examine it trying to tell myself that my natural ashy brown is still a nice color and the hints of red and a few gold accents are nice. I’m saying all of these things to myself. Then last night it comes …
See Ash you even have a few blondes. Wait. Wait just a minute. That is blonde…right?
NO! O.M.GEE! That is not a blonde hair! That is my first GRAY HAIR! I’m only in my early 30’s how do I have a gray hair?
So of course I do what any attached person would do and shared it with my significant other. “Honey, I have my first gray hair.”
“Um that’s not your first.” I hear from the room.
As I’m examining and debating on pulling it out. I see another. WHAT! TWO, two gray hairs! Then I’m on to looking at my part. Holy Hanna there is another. “3, I have 3 gray hairs.”
So how old am I now? And how can you have a kid on the way and gray hairs in your head.
I have come to terms with the wrinkles. I’ve led a good and happy life. The age spots, I’ve enjoyed the sun. The unpleasantness of loss of elasticity in my muscles, with age comes great wisdom and it’s now time for a younger person to take care of me. Gray hair? What can I say to feel good about grey hair?

1 comment:

The Green Family said...

You can say what any classy woman would say...'I could totally rock this gray..I choose to instead fork out the $50 and color the damn things!'